The Center for Knowledge Management (CKM) contributes to VUMC’s Recruitment Innovation Center (RIC) in several ways, bringing expertise in critical appraisal of the biomedical and grey literature, health literacy, learning styles, clear communication, and computer science. The RIC is funded by the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS) at the National Institutes of Health.
CKM’s collaboration with the RIC began in Fall 2016 with a series of evidence reviews related to recruitment and retention of minorities in clinical trials. Most recently, we have contributed to the development of an open online course hosted by Coursera as a component of the RIC’s “Faster Together” initiative focusing on evidence-based strategies for enhancing the recruitment of underrepresented populations in clinical trials. The course consists of eight modules addressing the full scope of the recruitment process, from initial engagement through retention.
CKM contributions have included the following:
- Reviewing the literature on issues pertaining to recruitment and retention of minorities in clinical trials
- Conducting a review and synthesis of the published and grey literature regarding training and resources to enhance research teams’ ability to recruit participants in clinical trials
- Evaluating platforms for delivering online learning material
- Reviewing content for Faster Together to ensure it was supported by the best evidence and adhered to clear communication best practice
- Collaborating with video production team to transform content into a multimedia format
- Implementing curriculum content into Coursera
- Providing support for course maintenance and evaluation activities
Introduction to the Course: “Faster Together, Enhancing the Recruitment of Minorities in Clinical Trials.” Trial Innovation Network webinar, May 15, 2019.
- View screencast: https://trialinnovationnetwork.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Introduction-to-the-course_-Faster-Together-Enhancing-the-Recruitment-of-Minorities-in-Clinical-Trials.mp4
- View slides: https://trialinnovationnetwork.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Faster-Together-Enhancing-the-Recruitment-of-Minorities_final.pdf
Frakes ET, Kusnoor SV, Koonce TY, Blasingame MN, Villalta MV, Wilkins CH, Giuse NB. Faster Together: Facilitating the Recruitment of Minorites in Clinical Trials through Modular, Evidence-based Training Using Coursera. Medical Library Association Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, May 2019.